Sitting down with my interrogation reports is never fun. But it always makes me wonder what I’d be able to find if I had all of those numbers plugged into a database or spreadsheet. My clinic is unable to send me reports electronically, and so my only choice is to have them printed out on letter-sized or 110 mm thermal paper, which fades over time. But if I want to know how my device’s battery is performing, I have to spend a little time combing through all the pages of my reports and entering the numbers I find into Excel. I have all my printouts since the day after implant, 3 1/2 years ago, 44 months ago to be precise. In this amount of time, I’ve had 16 device interrogations, including two of them during a cardiac rhythm class I took at the Arrhythmia Technologies Institute (ATI) earlier this year. The above graphic shows the battery depletion curve of my ICD in comparison to an estimated Lithium/SVO battery discharge curve found in my school materials. I also took into account the estimated longevity published by the manufacturer for this model of ICD at 100% sensing and with semi-annual capacitor formations (as it is in my case).
It’s only an estimation, but it shows that my implant battery seems to be behaving according to plan. It’s an example of how access to our data can give patients some peace of mind. And aside from not getting a shock, that’s all I can hope for.